Key to Success?

Today, John Veliz came into our classroom as our Human Library Experience #2.

It was so fascinating hearing about his journey. The way he told his story and how we could hear his progression from grade 7 (where everything was established) to grade 11 (where everything fell into place). His story put me on the edge of my seat the entire time.

He said the most exciting response when someone had asked him the question, “What would you say to your grade 7 self?”. He had responded by saying “absolutely nothing.” He said he wouldn’t say anything but “Continue what you’re doing,” for the reason that he felt that if he had encouraged himself to do something other than what he was doing in the slightest way, it could have messed up everything, that it would impact his entire experience till now.

I connected with this because I feel that there were certain experiences in my life that I believe if it didn’t occur, I wouldn’t be the same person I am today,  that I would have taken a different path. 

Comparing the story between himself and Lee McDermott, I noticed that they had many similarities: taking the initiative for something you are passionate about, practicing it then executing it, and practicing it and executing it. 

This leads me to believe that there is always something in common with people of success. Both John Veliz and Lee Mcdermott had a passion. They took that passion to another level. Instead of being interested in 5 different things,  they took that one dream and didn’t stop till they accomplished it. Maybe that is the key to success.

One thought on “Key to Success?