Shock Advertising

Shock advertising is a technique which tries to capture the viewer’s attention, using memorable and often slightly dark or inappropriate images. It can be really effective to send a message, however, it may not always be the message the company intended to send. These three ads have many things in common. For example, they have darker colour schemes which match the types of images on them. The first ad is a fashion ad by SISLEY which says fashion junkie, viewers immediately think of these girls looking intoxicate because they are snorting clothes. I think it tries to connect their brand to people who are high end, elite and edgy. I think it sends the wrong message that their clothes are like drugs insinuating that frugs are cool. The second shock ad is a campaign for driving within the speed limit. I think though the image is shocking it is not that inappropriate because it is showing something people know to be true. The brutal honesty of the campaign will connect to viewers because seeing an innocent-looking child next to a skull sends a message. It urges people to stay within the speed limit and plays with their emotion saying that in the scenario where they listen this kid may have a chance to survive. The last advertisement is from a noise-cancelling headphone brand ( Sennheiser), from the image we can infer that due to the noise-cancelling headphones he was not able to hear his surrounding and thus was the victim of an accident. This glorifies the noise-cancelling ability of the headphones. I think unlike the first one it is not as inappropriate and may even have some humour laced in. I think it could be considered funny because it is slightly dramatised and unrealistic.