Bedok Peacehaven – Intermediate Reflection

Music Concert at Bedok Peacehaven

For the first few months, we were focused on goal setting and planning for what we wanted to accomplish in the servi

The first activity we had planned for the center is to perform songs for them to sit around and listen to while they waited for their dinner to be prepared. We were able to play a total of ten songs, and even got them to clap along with us.

130e2229-40ea-427e-b013-da8bc451410d

“Don’t Stop Believin'” by Journey 

I stumbled across several challenges during this activity, which is something that is of concern for the entirety of the service. First of all, we had not coordinated and practiced our performances prior to attending the service due to absences and lack of planning time. Therefore, we had to improvise on the spot, trying to determine the likes and dislikes of the elderly, as well as the skills each of our members can bring. Transitioning between songs was quite difficult as we had to select songs that the elderly would enjoy, but also songs that everyone in the group knew. We needed to work together, and at times, take risks. It was very helpful that the members in the service were all very enthusiastic, each proposing ideas and taking charge in different songs. We learned how to play to each other’s skills, some were more talented at singing, while others knew how to play the guitar, so we divided our roles accordingly.

At the moment, as we are waiting for the new center to open, I feel that we do not have a defined course of action ie. planned activities, specific roles in the center. Therefore, it makes it quite difficult to brainstorm activities to do that are new and entertaining, forcing us to think on the spot. Through this experience, I learned that I am not the best at improvisation and I dislike when things don’t go according to plan. I feel that for next time, it would be a smart idea to plan ahead of time. This ensures that everyone in the service is aware of the activity so they can prepare themselves accordingly, allowing for the activity to run smoothly.