This season I am undertaking the role of stage manager in a high school production for the very first time. This is an entirely new experience that I have never done before. The role will require me to hone my organisational and leadership skills as I will be helping backstage in the production to ensure the show runs smoothly.

So far the main challenge I have faced is stepping out of my comfort zone. This role is unlike anything I have done before, and doing something completely new to me can be slightly nerve-racking. Another challenge I have faced was learning specific terminology that is unique to the world of theatre. Terms such as “thrust” are new to me and in order to fulfil my role I will need to learn these terms. I will overcome these challenges by communicating with the cast, as they are all very skilled actors, they are confident in the area. Communicating with them will help me familiarise myself with the area.

In the future I hope to take on this role again in other productions. This will put me up to the same challenges I am facing here. Exposing myself to these challenges will help me grow as a person and teach me to be more resilient and a better leader. I will use the skills I learn to here to grow my creative mind and can hopefully help in the future of my life.