Month: January 2018

Gpers Homework Article

I agree with most of the brands and their placement on the scatter graph. But some I don’t agree with, Uniqlo is too far down on coolness and awareness for me. I like Uniqlo, the things they make are really comfy and that’s mostly what I care about. Some of the brands I haven’t heard of before like Lyft, Burt’s Bees and Nordstrom to name a few.

1. Xbox

I like Xbox and I own an Xbox. It is up near the top right corner meaning it is both high in coolness and awareness. I agree with this as I think that lots of people like them but they also listen to their consumers.

2. Tesla

I think Tesla should be a lot higher up on the awareness side and the cool side could also use a boost. Tesla is a very aware car brand as they attempt to save the environment by creating electric cars. The cars are electric which saves the environment but they are also supercars which is why I think that need to be higher up.

3. YouTube

I use Youtube almost every day at school and at home. It can be a way for people to share knowledge or entertainment so it is very versatile and as most of our generation use it I am not surprised to see it so high up. I do think it should be lower on the awareness side of things as over the past few years it hasn’t really been listening to what people want and has changed from an entertainment source to almost a commercial business.

4. Addidas

I think Addidas is quite an aware brand as of the release of their shoes made with recycled plastic from the ocean. I think that where it is on the awareness side needs to be increased as at the moment they are trying to create what is best for the consumer and they are constantly coming out with things that people like, considering that Addidas is the creator of Kanye Wests line of Yeezys I would think that they would be cooler to the people that rated them but judging by the results I don’t think that anymore.

5. EA Sports

I own several EA Sports games and I like them, I don’t particularly like EA sports as they only try to make money and don’t listen to the community and what they want. However, they have done a few good things. You can tell from the placement of them that this article is not recent as EA as a whole have gained a lot of controversy as with the set upcoming release of Starwars Battlefront 2 they hid a key element to the game behind a paywall and received lots of negative backlash from the community, which is not a good thing for the awareness of a company.

WF #5

Christina Lau had an accident while in Malaysia on a holiday and was left paralysed from the chest down. Now she is a mouth painter and a motivational speaker. Her presentation was very short as she only talked for about 10 minutes. It was hard for us to ask questions as most of what she said was around attitude and how to change it. Although her story was interesting it was too short and vague to get information out of it. If she had given specific examples instead of just a wide moment and only showing us a few pieces of artwork and a 13-second video to show what she did, this left us to ask question like “What do you paint,” and meant there was no deeper meaning to be explored unlike the other speakers that we had like Danny Tan and Steve Dawson. I liked to story and it could have been a great presentation but the presenting side wasn’t the most entertaining, whether that is because of the fact that over this fortnight we have listened to amazing speakers like Mukul Deva, she didn’t really shine.

WF #4

Mukul Deva had an interesting presentation. I enjoyed it very much as he injected a lot of humour into it. I particularly enjoyed the section where he lead us through writing a murder mystery. As he said he was going to write a book with us I thought that we were actually going to have to do some writing which I was not thrilled about as I don’t like writing, but then he talked us through it and enjoyed it very much. His interaction with the audience I liked, in particular, picking certain people to answer and it worked great when they didn’t know what was going on, like when Arsh got picked and responded with “I don’t know” 3 times. It was really interactive and that meant that at no point you got bored for an overall effect of a really interesting presentation that kept me listening to a subject that I don’t enjoy. He was also really honest with us saying that he does it for money which showed that not everyone has to like it and someone who doesn’t like writing, like me, I can really relate to it.

Gpers Collage

My college has a few images that need to be interpreted for example the “sky news” logo was meant to symbolize that our generation will listen to anything that the new tells them even if it’s not true. Other images are of popular things at the moment like Little Pump (Bottom Right) and deeply fried memes (Middle left). I don’t understand some of the things in my college but I have noticed it around school like the hoodies, I don’t know why people like them but they do. Other things in my college include trends like dabbing.

WF #3

Danny Raven Tan has quite an interesting story filled with ups and downs. His story is also really inspiring as he never complained through the whole experience not even telling his parents to this day. Even after his dreams were crushed after the death of Vercase he kept going. He really has got a way of thinking that most people don’t have. He doesn’t hold anything back either calling out some members of our grade and not refraining from using any words that most presenters would shy away from. Despite this attitude, he was self-conscious of his scar from pancreatic cancer and eventually faced his fear and did a photoshoot showing them off spelling life which really inspires us to not be afraid.

.

WF #2 Marc Nair

Marc Nair has an interesting way of writing as seen in Plasticpeligo. He writes some of his poems in quite an ironic way and even puts some of them to song. Even after saying that he likes to write ironic poems. That makes for quite an enjoyable performance as you are entertained the whole time. He didn’t talk about himself too much but instead focused on his writing. I found his writing style cool and it’s not conventional. All of his books have photos attached to the poems as he said he likes to travel and I found that a different way to write poetry as I thought that the only way to do it was just with words but he does it with travel photos and some paintings. Overall this presentation was really enjoyable because it took something that I knew how to do, write poetry and really changed how I looked at it and gave me a new view on how to do it.

WF 1: Steve Dawson

During the presentation, we saw Steve Dawson present to us the 5 points of interviewing. As much as we wanted him to show him to tell us about himself, he didn’t. Instead, he wanted to talk about others the great experiences that he had and the amazing people he met. When he talked about Fernando Alonso he was very empathetic towards him. Most people would just assume that he was a mean guy. But Steve thinks differently, he understood that it was hard and decided to empathetic. Even when question provoking him to be egotistical, nothing. When he talked about Larry King and Piers Morgan still praised them for making it and never once said that he should be in their position. He came across very well in the presentation and even if I wasn’t paying attention all the time, throughout his whole story I was intrigued and wanted to know more. When he was talking about sports, as someone who likes sport naturally I was interested. But he wasn’t just talking about sport he was teaching us how to interview properly. Normally that isn’t something I would be interested in and would shy away from but this was different, I really enjoyed this story.

Auto Draft