What’s been the most influential meme for your generation and what does that say about your generation?

I used this resource:

I think that the most influential meme of my generation has been the Rick Roll meme.

This is because when I asked a lot of my friends what they think about this question, quite a few of them said that the most memorable meme that they could possibly think of is the Rick Roll meme. Taken from the music video for “Never Gonna Give You Up” by Rick Astley, it became a huge way for people to “troll” each other and has been an integral part of the meme universe ever since. It has happened to me a countless number of times before, and it can be seen in viral videos as well; for example, when a teacher posted a link to his students that said “Test Answers”, but when clicked on it started playing the music video for “Never Gonna Give You Up”; thus, the phrase You’ve Been Rickrolled!

I think that this says a lot about our generation; quite honestly, it does show us the lengths that some people will go to just to annoy their friends and the kind of things that become a worldwide hit overnight. The spread of technology has definitely aided this. I think that it shows that my generation is one that likes to have fun and one that is rather creative as well. People find such interesting and new ways to entertain people, and the Rick Roll meme is a good example of that to me. I think that memes are a huge part of our world today and are good for whenever we just need a good laugh or snicker; the world keeps changing every day, and I am proud to be able to say that my generation is the one that introduced the meme and the GIF to the world. With the help of technology, one laugh can slowly become into a million.

6 thoughts on “What’s been the most influential meme for your generation and what does that say about your generation?

1. This is for sure one of the most influential memes of the century, however if I was answering this question I would have talked about nick cage memes. Personally, I find memes with text a lot more funny than getting rick rolled because that got old pretty quick. The thing that made your question so difficult to answer is that there are so many different memes that can relate to so many different facets of life. This must have made it quite hard to select one specific one and elaborate a lot on it. This post makes me wonder why people don’t analyse memes more since they are actually quite interesting and relevant to the current world.

2. 1. If I were answering the question you selected, one difference between your opinion and my opinion would probably be we would have selected different memes, because most of the memes I know are more popular in China, which are usually funny and entertaining, but I also agree with you that these memes show the creativity of our generation.
    2. The thing that makes the question you selected difficult to answer is that memes are usually created to entertain people, but you can find how they are positive to the society and how they are interacted with our generation.
    3. Your post now makes me wonder if we should be asking the following question : Is it respectful to create memes of other people?

3. If I were answering the question you selected, one difference between your opinion and my opinion would probably be that there is not much depth to this meme, and thus they tend to get old fairly quick.
    The thing that makes the question you selected difficult to answer is the fact that there are so many memes, including ones that haven’t gone famous thus making a judgement without having a lot of information would be difficult.

Your post now makes me wonder if we should be asking the following question of how the sources of entertainment and media are changing and developing over time.