NYAA Community Project Section Reflection – Learning, Recording and Sharing in June

The next section of this community project for me would be learning how to use the software that I would use to record my piece, as well as actually learning the song to the best of my capabilities. I think that the best way for me to show my involvement and perseverance, as well as dedication to this project would be to really show that I was dedicated to learn and grow as a musician myself through this process because I feel like I have an easier time playing certain styles of music as compared to what we had chosen to do for this project.

The best way for me to learn how to play the song would be by, of course, listening to it, but also finding a lot of tabs online to use which I helped communicate to the other guitarists everytime I found one that I thought was easy enough to read and learn from. It was important for us to stay in tandem with one another in terms of how we are going to approach this, because it is important for a band to have good cooperation to make sure that the different parts flow together, but also since there were people dancing to the music we were playing it was important that we actually had uniformity in the music so that it would not be hard for the dancers to follow along. It was a huge team effort in the end, and I think that making sure I could communicate the way in which I was approaching the song to the rest of the band and making sure that we were all on the same page about something was really important and key in the final product.

After actually figuring out how to play the song, the next best way in which I would help the most through this musical element would be through an efficient recording that would help the editors as much as possible, so they could spend more time on the bulk of the video editing for the dancers. Saying this, I had to learn a bit about the Logic Pro software, and did so through YouTube before recording. I was able to learn about all sorts of effects that I could use to amplify the sound in certain sections which made the final product sound extremely good and of a well recorded quality.

The last part of this process, was in fact to get the recording done and sent into the Kolkata GC. I think that the hardest part was having to use a lot of takes due to making mistakes at certain parts, this being a completely new process to me, but I think that I was able to overcome my difficulties and actually produce something of good quality. I was able to get this done and send it in to the GC, where they would then put it together with the other tracks and make the video. The recording process took some time as a result of me not being completely aware of the different features of the software, as well as making some mistakes occasionally, due to not being completely comfortable with the song yet. However, I got it done and the last part was all but to record the video in tandem with the recorded audio track; this was easy enough and did not take much time. Then, all I had to do was essentially put my video and audio in the Drive folder as requested.

My final task was to actually spread the publicity and get the links for the GoFundMe as well as the Voice of World FB page to spread around through my different contacts so that I will actively be contributing to raising awareness for some of the problems that they are facing as a result of the cyclone. I think that the easiest way to do this was to share the link to the Voice for World website through WhatsApp, and I also was able to get help through my parents in the form of them also forwarding the donation link and website link to their friends. I think this was one of, if not the most important ways in which I contributed to this project, as I was able to get the message across to quite a few contacts who did not have any idea about this organisation as well as the Kolkata GC, so it was good that I was able to spread publicity and awareness to try and collect donations in some form, if not actual monetary donation then I think awareness of the issue and contemplation about what one can do to help is a stepping stone in itself.

Here is the link to the Voice of World website, and here is the link for the final version of the video.