First Post

What are your course goals/aims/hopes?

During this course, I hope to deepen my understanding of the English language and how impactful the way we use it can be. I feel that I haven’t put in as much effort as I could in the past because I had taken for granted the fact I could get by with knowing the basics. For this reason, I’d like to make sure I’m challenging myself during this course and not just staying in my comfort zone. This goal links a bit to psychology which is a course I am also taking so I feel that it will be beneficial for that too.

Think about a memorable experience you have had, then try to consider how you feel studying this course could help you understand it/them/yourself better, whatever that may be and link this to your course ‘goals’

There isn’t one moment in particular which I can associate this with, but I feel that often when talking with people we use words which to us seem fine but to them have a much greater impact. For example, to some people, the word ‘pathetic’ doesn’t hold much value, but when it has been said to me it has impacted me more than initially intended. Because I have gained awareness about this, I want to be able to analyse words and phrases that I use and look at the impact they have on a variety of people. This links to my goal this year to understand how impactful language can be and how it can be used to target emotions in people.

One thought on “First Post

1. A thoughtful response:I really look forward to you exploring the impact that certain words can have on us and exntire populations. I hope you continue to recognise the power of language!