End of Year Service Post

Finishing Service is a weird feeling. Volunteering for me wasn’t something I felt that I had to do. Visiting my patient in Apex every week was something I was looking for, even though, I often felt the frustration that I can’t help enough. Especially, in the last couple of months, I felt that she’s getting into a little bit worse position with her dementia, which is understandable, looking at her age. I believe that music can have the most positive and powerful influence on us in many ways, but I feel that I was a little bit naive, and expected to make miracles, while in reality, I had to appreciate that with it, I could reach out to my patient. I felt that we truly have a connection when we could both enjoy and be thankful for what we were listening to and sing/move together to the beat. Personally, it was quite funny when I started to learn how to pronounce Japanese words, as an old, famous Japanese singer was one of her favorite. I try to do a lot of explorations what she could like, and while the singer remained in the best position, surprisingly, she responded quite well to some children’s songs as well.

We had a journey together, which I’m very happy to participate in with her. I had to accept that I in some cases can’t help, some things are beyond my abilities, but it always filled me with happiness to see her enjoy herself, and I will miss that smile.