CAS Reflection – SGM Murni Child Care Center (LO1&LO2)

Sessions 1 & 2

In the first session, we got to know each other and talked about some of the rules such as being patient and more understanding of their skills. We were informed of their ages (5-6 years old) and their limitations so that we better understand their abilities at such age. Furthermore, what I like about this service is that we are also able to work on our skills and have fun together while boosting the kids’ confidence.

In the second session, we went to the Child Care Center to meet the kids. I was surprised to see them so active and lively. They jumped around, held my hand and showed me some of their board games. To be honest, I thought they would be shy about meeting us for the first time but it was the exact opposite. I’m excited to lead this group of kids because of their enthusiasm!

The next few sessions will be spent in the gym so that we could learn how to coach them and how to minimize risks. I’m also eager to work with this group of students since they’re the people I don’t usually talk to and I would love to step outside my comfort zone and talk to new people.

LO 1 & LO 2:

I decided to choose this service because I wanted to learn a new skill. I think it’ll be fun getting to know the SGM Murni Child Care Centre kids and I’m so excited to coach them.

Through this service, I want to challenge myself to become a better collaborator and a better coach for them. It’ll be tough at the start since we only spent 3 sessions on training how to coach but as time passes, I will progress. I do have 3 younger siblings so I believe I have a bit of experience, however, I would like to learn new skills in this service such as learning how to coach, how to do a handstand and basic gymnastics skills. We all have different skills in my group but what’s good is that we’re all friends with each other and we’re always there to help. For example in one of the training sessions, one of us couldn’t do a bunny hop on our hands so we tried to help him by holding his hips so that he could balance himself.

I believe this service will let me step out of my comfort zone and try something new. I have done gymnastics when I was 5 but I forgot how to do everything so I’ll have to learn everything from scrap. I’m really looking forward to the kids coming to our gymnasium.