CAS Project Reflection 2 // Smart cities challenge by Hyundai, Kia, and UWCSEA

Smart cities challenge    Role: team member                                          LO7,  LO2, LO4

” Smart City Programme & Challenge is a program specifically designed for UWCSEA students by Hyundai and Kia teams. Designed to help students discover and learn about innovative developments in Smart Cities; providing them with real-world insights delivered by renowned experts. Participants will also get to discover Hyundai’s innovative vision for urban mobility.”

Schedule: 19 Feb (Fri), 4pm – 4.45pm: Information Webinar
26 Feb (Fri), 4pm – 6pm: Online session
5 Mar (Fri), 4pm – 6pm: Online session
12 Mar (Fri), 4pm – 5pm: Online session
19 Mar (Fri), 4pm – 5pm: Online session
19 – 27 Mar Team preparation and ideation
27 Mar (Sat), Full Day: Challenge

LO7 [Recognise and consider the ethical implications of choices and actions] – During the online sessions of this CAS project, I learned about Hyundai’s plans for smart cities in the future. These sessions educated me on their imagination of future hi-tech cities, and I was both shocked and amazed by some of the concept videos they showed us of their concept vehicle (the PBV). The PBV is an autonomous (self-driving) vehicle that can come to you, take you places, automatically detect and avoid high-traffic areas, can be converted into possibly portable clinics, restaurants, and gyms. These made me reflect on the ethical implications of designing smart cities such as this, first and foremost being the problems of resource scarcity, the developing countries, and global warming.

LO2 [Demonstrate that challenges have been undertaken, developing new skills in the process] – This smart cities challenge was difficult at first, as the concepts and the product we were planning to design is something completely new to me, and a field I have not explored much of. Our team created a plan that we executed to a T by dividing up tasks and sections of the presentation we need to each complete. This improved my collaboration skills as working together has not been a very strong suit for me in the past, however, during this project I was able to effectively work with my colleagues to produce a good quality presentation. Another skills I worked on during the creation of this project is my ability to research and use CAD, a computer software design tool which allowed me to visually display and represent my idea. Furthermore, I developed my ability to communicate and present when we presented in front of the Hyundai, Kia and school judges – although it was a little intimidating – I persevered and made me sure to effectively communicate my ideas while being confident, clear, and concise.

LO4 [Show commitment and perseverance in CAS experiences] – I resiliently worked with my colleagues to produce a good presentation, and although we all had other work during this project time – we still committed to each online session and our in-person meetings so that we could work together to produce a solid idea and work through the ideology for a successful presentation. Moreover, I showed my desire to advance and work as a team by setting this team up and brainstorming ideas even when we were not in the session. It took a while but I thought of the final smart gym idea and discussed it with my colleagues later before we chose the idea and developed it more thoroughly.

Below is the certificate I recieved from placing 2nd in the challenges, as well as 3 of the renders we produced using CAD of our smart gym ideas.

Smart cities challenge certificate (2nd place, Samh Jain)

Stackable smart gym

Renders (digital artwork using CAD: Fusion 360of our product design) Portable PBV situated smart gym that can autonomously travel to you for a workout (possible integration with future Hyundai and Kia technology.)