DPers – Smartphone talk

My quotes:

-> Life could be conducted in 2 different places

-> There’s a war going on to get our attention

-> It’s designed to help you find a moment of happiness in an otherwise busy day

Our conversation   (we didn’t do all 3 quotes each)

I didn’t really have a strong opinion on smartphones before, I always thought that it was both useful and a distraction – like Sara’s quote says, both an extension and an amputation. Now I still feel the same way, confused on wether smartphones are actually beneficial or not. Everything we’ve watched or read had strong points on both sides giving evidence to support both. So for me, I don’t have an opinion as I find that phones work both ways.

8 comments

1. I kind of agree with you, but I feel that smartphones are affecting us in a more negative way. It seems like our smartphones are drawing us in, making our world revolve around these tiny panes of glass and metal.

2. I agree with what you are saying but I’m still not so sure on how you feel about using smartphones.

3. I question I have is, well, since you said that our memory isn’t as good anymore which is why we take more pictures or save a lot of things on our phone, we don’t live in the moment. Can technology change us to become living phones, so that we can live in the moment more? I don’t have that great of memory and I use my phone so that I can come back to that photo and relive the moment. So if there is something developed to create better remembering skills, will we still need to use our phones as much? If so, why?

1. I think even if something was developed then the amount would still be the same because a lot of people take photos so they can share on social media and stuff like that.
      Thanks!

4. Relation to our lives nice making connections. The heart of the conversation is about the quote of “every extension is also an amputation.” Your conversation seemed to go quite in-depth about this, are there any other perspectives you could consider? What do you think about your own phone use and personal experience with this?