Gender Identity

• How much has the environment influenced your views on gender and your own expression of gender?

Growing up I loved to play with barbie dolls and I loved the colour pink, but it wasn’t really pushed onto me because I was a girl, I just genuinely enjoyed it. I also liked watching the cartoon versions of Marvel and playing with action figures. I didn’t really have any stereotypes pushed onto me as I was growing up, but I knew I was a girl, because I was treated as one and taught to act & think like one. I would wear dresses, mess around with fake make-up, play dress up, stuff like that.

• How important is your gender to your identity? Why?

I think it’s pretty important because your gender defines who you are, what you wear, what you think, what you act like. Your gender is a reason for why you do things the way you do. It’s how you were brought up and how your brain is programmed.

• How has it shaped other aspects of your life?

I think being a girl has it’s stereotypes, for example, social media. There are always these ads that are pushing new beauty products or heels or dresses onto us. But there really aren’t any other things.

• What has influenced your perspectives about your gender?

I’m not completely sure, I think it’s due to the way I was brought up and how I’m treated.