The Veldt – Ray Bradbury

When first reading through this short story, I was extremely confused. It made no sense how a 30,000 dollar house back then, would have a thatched roof and how they would live in the middle of a bare African safari land. However, reaching the end, it made more sense. I realized that the genre of the story was more science fiction than reality. The nursery described in the story seems to be some kind of virtual reality room where the kids are able to play. When David Mcclean(the psychologist) was introduced to the story, one of his first initiatives was to turn the “mechanical, electronic navels” off. This is one point where I truly started to understand the context and setting of the story.

In his technique, I noticed that he does a lot of description and does a lot of showing rather than telling. I find this fascinating as I still am able to grasp the main point and plotline of the story with descriptions and am able to understand the characters through reactions to certain statements. For example, how each individual parent felt about locking them in the “room” alone. In addition, I was able to analyze the children’s personalities and how they are both “headstrong” and independent children.

What I still can’t figure out is how the story ends. It ends with the parents stuck in the room but since it is a virtual reality room, it can’t really do any harm? The mother of the children seems calm as she offers tea in her last line.

The Yellow Wallpaper- Charlotte Perkins Stetson

In my opinion, this story was easier to understand. It shows the growth of insanity from a woman possed by an illness. As her doctor has instructed her to have no activity, she becomes bored. From this boredom, she notices strange things around the room and records them in a secret journal.

One of the things in the room is the yellow wallpaper. She seems heavily intrigued by this as the yellow wallpaper has a strange pattern she is disgusted by. Later in the story, it is revealed to be a woman behind bars.

Throughout the book, the lady imagines things such as bars on the window. This connects back to the yellow wallpaper as the wallpaper too has bars with a woman who is seemingly stuck and suppose to somehow get back. As the story progresses further, the woman only becomes more insane and thinks that she is that woman trying to escape the house.

Whilst reading the story, I was intrigued by her use of words and the way her character develops. At first, the main character is disgusted by the wallpaper, but then grows to love it? Does this spring just from boredom or from her insanity? Or is it from the constant bickering that goes on about how she cannot do anything active? There is never a specific reason, her sanity just continues to increase. In addition, towards the end of the short story, the persona constantly repeats the word creep. Whether it is the action of creeping or her personality being creepy. The most peculiar part is that she finds it calming…the creeping.

The one question I have after reading this short story is why John (Jane (the persona’s) husband) faints. After constant banging at the door, he just suddenly faints? That does not make any sense! The weirdest part is that Jane feels no remorse. As if her emotions have been turned off. She finds it burdensome that he is disturbing the peace of creeping.