From the first few pages that I have read, there is a lot I was able to observe. In the first few lessons, we were able to get a good understanding of greek tragedy and the structure of the plays. I think this was vital for my understanding as it provided a good foundation for my learning. When reading the play, it further built on my understanding of how plays were structured. It was also useful to know-how the plays were designed to fit the spaces they were to be performed in. It added to this aspect of imagination that the audience at that time should have had. With this in mind, it allowed me to view Oedipus from a different perspective. Reading the first scenes was not an easy read; even the introduction was difficult to understand. However, as I saw this timeless theme of fate and human character, it all started to make sense. I was able to make links to what I’ve previously understood and I furthered my understanding of why greek tragedy is such an influential form of theatre.

The morals that Oedipus carries fits into why it is a greek tragedy but also gives the audience this sense of catharsis. I relate this catharsis feeling with after a good cry. At a really stressful point in time, crying sometimes relieves this pressure and makes me feel refreshed. I get the sense that the reason the audience ends up with this feeling is that they relate to Oedipus on a certain level. As I learned in the previous lessons, we briefly covered this connection that the audience has to a play which contributes to the timelessness of Greek tragedy. This idea can be applied here where Oedipus is a near-perfect character. However, he has this one flaw that takes away from this perfection. In this case, I believe Oedipus’s main downfall is his denial or in some aspect, determination. After Tiresias describes how Oedipus is going to drive himself to his own downfall, he constantly speaks of being in denial as to what Tiresias is outrageous in his words. However, it is also his determination to not let that happen to him, which leads him to banish himself.

After watching this play, it can be predicted that many felt catharsis as they could very well be in Oedipus’ position. I think overall, that is the scariest part of Greek tragedy. It is how the play relates so closely with humanity which instills this fear.