The Meaning of My Name

The name Sanil is a name of Sanskrit origin meaning bestowed or talented. Sanil is a very uncommon name, in India, it is usually Sunil or Anil but seldom Sanil. My parents wanted my name to be unique instead of the typical Indian name, hence Sanil was chosen. In fact on my birth certificate, my name was actually Aryan but my mother thought that was too common and was changed. My name was shortlisted by my mother from a book of Hindu names. Other criteria for my name being picked included was it should be short and mainly easy to pronounce in all cultures because my parents were living in Singapore at the time and I would probably study in a society with many different nationalities. It has been given to 37 babies through 1880-2017 in the United States. It is usually meant to mean overall gifted or authoritative and powerful, overall a driven person who tries for what he wants. There is no record of a Sanil as a person who is famous of any kind due to the rarity of the name. My last name is Kagalwala. The second part of my last name, wala, is often used in Gujrati culture in India which is my father’s side of the family to mean ‘person’ or ‘guy’. The first part is adapted from the Hindi word ‘kaagaz’ which means paper. Hence the name Kagalwala was formed meaning paper person/guy. Presumably, my ancestor’s job was as someone who distributed paper or something along the lines.