NYAA GOLD service reflection #4

My time spent on service in the IB was incredible, I met new people and perspectives and I was able to learn so much about how to approach issues in communities and effectively solve them even when facing a pandemic. Although my time in Movement and Music with Lighthouse school didn’t see me fully accomplish the intended leadership aspect of my NYAA GOLD service goal, I did gain respect as a video editor and researcher on those with intellectual disabilities.  So to some degree I did accomplish my goal as I did maintain a respected and authoritative role in the group.

Although that was enjoyable, I feel that it was my time in JSK where I really was able to work on and achieve my goal. There I decided that I’d do that relating to one of my responsibilities: the blog. I asked to be able to lead a small group of members in helping get down more information and help me revamp the blog. I felt like this will help consolidate me as a respected authority in the GC and grant me more respect and responsibilities when aiding the GC. I was extremely focused on honing my capabilities as a communications officer so I was fully aware of all the information coming into the service email, and maintaining personal relationships with the members so I could get information to them more efficiently. From managing the team working on the blog to relaying ideas and information on next year’s fundraising event to and fro between the chairs and the service department, I feel that the amount of responsibilities I had been granted and relied upon to complete was indicative of me accomplishing my goal in becoming a trusted leader in the GC I was a part of.