Astronomy Club G11 Season 2 – Creative/Activity

Season 2 for the Astronomy Club went much more smoothly compared to last season as we broke out from the repetitive and relatively boring structure that we had which was just each group sharing a presentation about a topic on Astronomy. In this season we as a team decided to focus on building rockets out of plastic bottles and experimenting with different variables available to us (e.g. weight, shape, amount of water used, etc.). I think that this was a good decision for us as it intrigued more of our members to come to the activity as some members would not come to all sessions. This also lead to the expansion of the number of members and acted as a sort of advertisement of the Astronomy Club. From having around 7-8 people in our club, the numbers have doubled for Season 3 and 4 which opens up many more opportunities.

In terms of problems that we faced in the Astronomy club in season 2 was that at times we saw our selves distracted and out of schedule a lot of the times. I think that this was due to a lack of organisation and time management as if we had used a doc to keep in track of things we did and things we needed to do, we would have been able to use our time much more efficiently as we only have 1 40 minute session every week. A lot of members also could not come due to Kahaani dance practices during lunch which also could have been a source of the problem.

Focusing on the rocket challenge, it was a struggle at first to initiate action as our members were slacking and I saw myself slacking as well during our sessions. I think the process of actually forming the rocket was the only challenge as it took a lot of effort to gather material and put the parts together; however, after the construction of the rocket was finished it was a much more enjoyable and rewarding experience and the process of trial and error was easier as we would only need to tweak small parts of the rocket. The video below shows a trial of a prototype rocket model and is one of the first rocket launches. The process overall tested my determination and also leadership skills because I had to direct our members as the head of the club.

I hope that the Astronomy club becomes more successful and our next challenge of using the telescope should be a very interesting one and also another opportunity for development individually.

LO3 – Demonstrate how to initiate and plan a CAS experience
LO4 – Show commitment to and perseverance in you CAS experiences