Writer’s Fortnight 2018: Danny Raven Tan

I used to think…but now I think… OR I was expecting…but came to learn that…

When I saw the words building estate manager, artist and cancer, I was expecting a talk about how the illness has encouraged a new form of inspiration and bravery to pursue a dream ambition like Steve Dawson, except a more what I’d say heartfelt and motive made sensed one. But it was much deeper, with him talking about how he loves his parents, about how he was trying to find a job which he could love, that he had once fallen into depression, about his dementia mother and his battle with cancer.

I now think that when you are faced with death, you can become a little cynical, but I believe that it can also make people wiser and more insightful than ever while making people go for their dreams.  “If I were to have a backup plan, I don’t think I will succeed.”

Headlines

How a small pep talk from Danny Raven Tan changed my views

When faced with death, people can become either pessimistic, cynical, wiser or have courage. And Danny Raven Tan has them all as he shares some of his experience with us.

The push that he needed to be who he is today

In 2010 when Danny Raven Tan was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, cancer that is normally only detected at its final stages, he was devastated and had fallen into depression. But sometimes, it’s when you are at the darkest that you become the brightest.

Inquiry Factory

• What advice do you have for budding artists?
  • Do you think that there will be a day when you can finally keep no more secrets with your parents?
  • If you didn’t contract pancreatic cancer or any diseases, where do you think you would be?
  • You have mentioned that your mother was more ‘fun’ now as she takes selfies with you, but do you miss the times before she acquires dementia?
  • Some children/students are facing pressure from their parents to study subjects such as accounting like when you were younger. What advice would you have for them?
Published inAcademicEnglishIGCSEThoughtsWriter's Fortnight 2018

One Comment

1. arora55948@gapps.uwcsea.edu.sg

Great ideas once again! I like the key thoughts that you picked out of his talk because I do feel that they are quite powerful. Good job with the inquiry factor section, I think quite a few of those questions could translate to quite relevant conversations with students especially the one about artists, which would be quite interesting for someone such as yourself. For the headlines, they seem like they would be able to draw readers in but perhaps you could work on keeping them a bit more concise.