Initiative for Peace

During my junior year, I became involved in an activity called Initiative for Peace,  an action-based programme where students have “the opportunity to actively promote international understanding and reconciliation in areas of conflict.” During this course, we had two conferences run by the Dover and East campuses where we experienced the run through of an actual peace conference in preparation for being accepted into planning and running in the conferences either in Mae Sot in Thailand, Timor Leste or in Singapore. Throughout these conferences and the course, I have gained so much information about what is peace in actuality, and how we can promote it. We learnt the necessary skills for conflict resolution and how to be an effective peace builder. Additionally, throughout the course we completed many exercises and activities about what is violence and how it is apparent in our daily lives. By gaining a better understanding of the issues in the world around us, whether it be in our immediate society or on a larger scale, such as in our countries or in larger conflicts between opposing sides, we learned techniques on how to cope and recognise these issues and how we can promote peace with a new  awareness of these conflicts.