LO1: Increased awareness of strengths and areas of growth

During Season 3, I will be joining the U19 Girls Badminton B team. I have been given the position after the try-outs sessions which took place last week. Due to another activity commitment I will be unable to attend the Monday sessions, but I will be participating in the weekly Wednesday and Friday training sessions.

What previous experience do I have? What skills can I adapt from these experiences?:

I have previous experience in playing badminton competitively and was in the U19 Girls Badminton C team back in Grade 9. However, I have been focusing on cross country since Grade 10, and I have not played badminton for 2 years. I am aware of the rules and familiar with the training, but in the try-outs and the first session I recognised that my body does not move as naturally as before, and often times I would need brief ‘reminder’ drills for techniques and footwork.

From doing cross country and running regularly, I noticed that I have good stamina which helps me stay focused solely on practising techniques throughout the hour and a half sessions. I also believe running has helped me obtain a ‘grit’ mindset, which keeps me resilient and determined to complete drills until I am satisfied. This reinforced within me the idea that the skills nurtured through these non-academic activities are transferable life-long skills.

What would I like to improve? What is my goal? How will I work towards this?

I would like to improve on my techniques, especially: smash, drop, smash receive and underhand shots. I want to practise these and be able to hit the shuttles with deliberate intention of what type of shot I will use during matches. Similarly, I would like to be able to intentionally hit the shuttle to a certain direction, and apply this skill when I play against others.

My overall goal is to enjoy badminton and be able to play close matches against others in my team. I will work towards this goal by being committed and focused on the two training sessions every week, and also work on strengthening my arm muscles. I will also definitely continue my regular runs to maintain my stamina. Perhaps I would incorporate some badminton footwork drills as a part of my warm-up and cool-down when I run.