Waterline of Visibility and my Identity (PSE)

The waterline of visibility provides interesting ideas about our identity and how we are perceived. I think especially in an international school where we are a mix of many different races and nationalities, it is easy to make assumptions on people’s intelligence level, sports ability, and even personality simply based on how we look externally. Everyone has some level of prejudice, whether they are conscious of it or not, and this can cause a lot of misinterpretations of how people are. To me, I believe that I can be rather closed off to those I am not comfortable with or people I have just met, so my personality may be very different to the people I am close who I have opened up to as opposed to those I do not know very well. Many of my closest friends and their personalities are different from when I first met them. The waterline of visibility has allowed me to see how I make assumptions based on stereotypes rather than actually getting to know people, so it has helped me be more open-minded and not let prejudices cloud my judgment.

Image result for waterline of visibility