My Reading

Throughout my life I think my reading has changed quite a lot. Personally I think that it has been most dependent upon what I can relate to at that particular stage of my life. When I was a kid I loved fantasy because it was quite connected to my vast imagination and the make-belief games I’d play. When I was about 12-13 I really enjoyed realistic fiction because it was quite relatable to see kids my age deal with the same problems but in an entertaining context. As of right now I love life stories and non fiction book because I think as a I become an adult I am more aware of my life and the world I live in so being aware of the issues and the changes it quite important.

My attitude to reading has also changed depending on my schedule and the workload I have. I always notice however that I am very grateful for the time I get to read and spend some time being engaged in somebody else’s life other than my own. I think reading can create a sense of empathy whether it be to a character, a moment or a situation. It teaches us to take ourselves out of the picture and focus on something else (with which our busy lives is something we rarely get to do). I am also quite fond of theatre as well so the concept of stepping in somebody else’s shoes it not a new one to me and I tend to find it very interesting.

My goal for reading is to become more patient. This is something I struggle with in all realms of my life, academically, socially and even personally. I find myself quitting on books if they don’t engage me right away or if the character is not as complex as I thought, however I want to change that habit and push myself to keep reading and make my judgements later. In our social lives I also feel that humans are very quick to jump to conclusions and make assumptions about our capabilities and other people, which is another aspect of my life I can change if I develop patience.

A book I read that really changed my life was ‘Alice in Wonderland: Through the looking glass’. It is actually my favourite book ever written. The book in itself in terms of plot and characters is genuinely insane, Lewis Caroll spared no room for anything more crazy than a story like that. I think my biggest takeaway from that book is that your life is whatever you choose to make it. Alice throughout the book is discouraged and unsupported by even her own mother in her pursuit of her own truth, but none the less she goes to a place where people believe in her.

This book has impacted me because it has made me curious as to my own truths, what I want to accomplish with my life. It has also reminded me that along the way there will always be people who try and hold you back, sometimes, unfortunately, it is the people whom you love most. The story urges us to find a place where we are loved and appreciated for who we choose to be, an idea that has taken stand in the 21st century with the rise of self identification and expression. Specifically to me, this book makes me think about my big picture. I would like to pursue law in the future, and I am trying to develop a sense of where I fit best and where I will be guided best to make the change in the world that I want to see.