My first training session

Learning Outcomes: LO3-Demonstrate how to initiate and plan a CAS experience. // LO6-Demonstrate engagement with issues of global significance.

I participate in Model United Nations, which is a debate activity that simulates what happens in the United Nations. We discuss issues that range from human rights, health and economics, which is much like the committees in the UN. Every year large conferences are hosted in Singapore where many kids come together to participate in debate. I help to train MUN for beginners, which means every week for 3 seasons for 1.5 hours I am training new kids to develop and enhance their debating skills.

I am doing this because I am very passionate about MUN. It is an activity I started from the 7th grade and I recognise how much my trainers motivated me and pushed me to work harder, and I wanted an opportunity to do the same for other students who are passionate.

The first thing we did with the new group today was that we just gave them a short introduction into what MUN is. We wanted to familiarise them with the mission of MUN, what they stand to gain and just the importance of the United Nations. As a trainer I understand that some may see MUN as a very intellectual, perhaps boring and possibly idealistic activity. However, most people fail to see the lessons they learn along the way, such as empathy and diplomacy that will help them in years to come.

During the lesson today we played a game of jeopardy, which is a fun way of teaching them some background information and getting them thinking about MUN. The evidence for this activity is HERE. We were able to see the varying levels of knowledge amongst the kids and even interest.

In regards to LO3, raining the MUN sessions helps me build on my collaboration, because it means I have to interact with the kids throughout training to get a better sense of what help I can offer. I have seen over the years how it has helped me become more organised and efficient in terms of my planning. As for LO6, MUN is a platform in which we engage with global issues that are being faced by countries right now. As a trainer, I have to guide kids in looking at these issues, and finding solutions to address them effectively. As the weeks progress and the procedure of debate has been taught, I will be diving into sustainable and global problems that the delegates will have to debate.