Writer’s Fortnight: Deborah Emmanuel

Going into the session I didn’t really expect much other than Deborah Emmanuel telling us about her life situation, how she got into the zone of writing poetry and etc. But whilst the talk was going on I was quite surprised in many ways. This is only because she wasn’t like any of the other guest speakers, she was more out there and open, not afraid to step lines and to be herself which is basically being bold. As a writer, I now know that to write something meaningful or important, it needs to come out fresh and that there’s always gonna be truth behind it. Her poems really showed me that, as I interpreted them being strong and powerful and maybe to others it didn’t. As well as, when she was up there speaking the tonality of the poem showed me how I was supposed to feel or react towards certain parts. This session was quite beneficial in the sense that Deborah wasn’t just telling us how to be a good writer, or just answering questions so that we’d get the information we would want but I think the key thing was everything that she did. This meaning, it was the feeling of having to be there to understand the message she was trying to convey. Overall, I personally feel like her work is very powerful, and she’s taught me that everyone has a story to tell but it’s whether that person wants to share it and how. The big takeaway that I have would be to not to force an idea to get a story written, because there will be a point in my life where it’ll be the moment for me where I get to share my story.

One thought on “Writer’s Fortnight: Deborah Emmanuel

1. When I consider your notes, I find myself thinking how surprising it is that you write about Deborah Emmanuel in such a positive manner and regard her ways as very powerful, as after this session I heard many people talking about her in a negative way. I think it is wonderful and very interesting what you said about not forcing yourself to write because at some point it will ‘come’ to you and it will be the moment for you to share your story. One thing that I am wondering is does something have to happen for you to write your story, or will you out of the blue just be able to write it? Maybe it’s a silly question, but just a little bit interesting 🙂