MY EXPERIENCE AS AN AFRICAN STUDENT IN UWC .By.Elitumaini Swai

Being a student at any school is possible especially when one’s parents or guardians are capable of providing this.

One thing that attracted me to start the complicated and overwhelming process of finding a chance to be one of these amazing UWC  communities that I had heard about it from my cousin sister together with her friends.There had also been several complaints on discrimination issues in various schools outside Africa towards African kids.This was also among the major concerns that my parents had when I was making the decision of leaving my country to come and study outside of Africa.I assured my parents that I believe I am never going to be under such overwhelming cases/issues as I   was told by my cousin sister and from other UWC Alumni that I ever met through my cousin sister.Before I came here I also had a lot of doubts about how UWC schools manage to have this good reputation of a non-discriminative society.

Coming to a realization after being around UWCSEA, I then realized that having different Focus Groups such as Focus Africa and different equality groups play a major role in achieving this unique characteristic besides the strict rules that are to be abided by every member of the society.

With this, I have been able to freely participate in different activities with the equal chance to all other students in the school.Besides the fact that it was difficult to get along with a new community at the beginning but these different activities such as sports, services and family events have been a great experience that has assisted in making my social life happier.

I have also attached a link below to my blog post that shows my learning process at UWCSEA  together with all activities that have been participating in including  Focus Africa.

http://portfolios.uwcsea.edu.sg/swai86330/2018/03/18/bringing-the-whole-community-together-family-festival/