DPERS Video Games – Should we allow apps into mentor time?

I don’t think that this ‘WeCroak’ app would be a holistically beneficial utility to disperse, there are some people who might find it useful to understand that an action they are taking is worthless in the large scheme of things but I would find it abhorred to have everyone do this as it can be very depressing. One big ‘problem’ they are resolving is if you had arguments or are having one right now it won’t matter in the end but many people can find the lack of worth in any of their actions extremely depressing. It is essentially saying that nothing that you do matters which is an extremely disturbing thought for most people. On top of this, these arguments and other actions do have value, they let you experience, adapt, and learn. But if we rebrand them by this facade of worthlessness you might forget to learn from them because of whats the point in learning from them? but this style of thinking is a downward spiral into unadulterated pure nihilism which is not what productive societies and innovative societies (and people) want. But I need to understand that everyone in the world is different which might be a reason for this app to exist much like some people liking gaming and some don’t, people might like having the reminder that their quarrels don’t matter whilst some do. Using this app would in my opinion be destructive and chaotic in the hands of my mentor time peers, especially when people understand that we are kids and are still very malleable in our values and beliefs and I think we should set kids up to believe they are going to have a meaningful life otherwise they might become depressed and let the other kids who want this nihilistic approach to download it of their own free will. This app would also imply that other apps that would potentially remind you 5 times a day that what they’re doing matters as a joke and is the wrong approach and vice versa. I think that if these two apps were to discuss what was best for people they would have very different views on life itself. I think mentors would find it significant to talk about the differences in each idea so the kids know the difference between the two approaches and the different mindsets that allow for the different apps, this would ease tensions and arguments in the future by kids using the two different apps understanding the mindsets and values each other might be entitled to. A prime example of the contrasts in people is here when one person who finds meaning in getting reminded of death said: “Much like how the best way to look at earth is being on the moon, The best way to experience and look at life is on the verge of death”.

In conclusion: I believe that we should allow apps into mentor time, however, I believe apps that are for certain people shouldn’t be applied to everyone

My research website

3 Replies to “DPERS Video Games – Should we allow apps into mentor time?”

1. shah54410@gapps.uwcsea.edu.sg says: Reply

My thinking might continue to evolve, I say that because there is so much to using apps as something to help us. Although in this situation we can both agree it’s quite depressing and negative however on a different agenda we never know these apps could be extremely useful in many methods. This is why I think my thinking will evolve because with time and change my mind will think differently about different apps and with technology advancing there are going to be many more weird and crazy apps being released day by day which could trigger my thinking differently causing my evaluations to evolve.

2. easth15924@gapps.uwcsea.edu.sg says: Reply

My own thinking might continue to evolve, I say this because what you are saying about how kids need to understand the different mindset of apps I feel now is a very important discussion.

3. Hi Jack,

Your well-articulated argument has me realizing that for app designers it is so important for them to remember that their intentions may not always be realized, and I wonder if We Croak was tested with different age groups. Your post has me wondering if there could be one positive reminder that we could look to send out daily–but again, I wonder if there could ever be a ‘one size fits all’ message that would motivate so many different people.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Ms. Friedman