TOK Personal Diary (history of my family)

In my nuclear family, there’s myself, my big brother, my mom, and my dad. On my dad’s side, there’s my paternal grandma and granddad, as well as my dad’s younger sister and an even younger brother. On my mom’s side, there’s my maternal grandma and granddad, as well as my mom’s younger sister and an even younger brother. My parents are the eldest siblings in what used to be their own nuclear families.

I’m not very close with my uncles and aunts, but whenever we go visit them (mostly in India, but seldom in the US), I would talk to them about their lives in general, not really prying too deep into their feelings and more personal matters. I felt that I am most close to my parents and then to my brother. My parents and I discuss most of the stuff I can share with them, usually based on how relevant it is to them. We talk at least once daily about how everyone’s day has been, but when we go on trips to India and I get to learn about my culture and my village, they educate me about people I’m related to but don’t really know personally. We also inspect our land and get a sense of ownership and belonging when we’re at our village. That’s the place my great grandfather owned but I don’t really know how he got to own it (not sure if he bought it or just found out that it was empty). My dad and his original nuclear family used to live there but now only our farmer lives there (he manages our land, mostly through farming), so the place is pretty lonely now, with occasional visitors when either our nuclear family visits, or any of my dad’s siblings do. On my mom’s side, her parents don’t really own any land anymore. Her mom didn’t own any land legally, because of India’s old laws and the inherent patriarchal norms in her family. My mom’s dad did own land, but it wasn’t very useful to him seeing as he became a banker, just like his own dad, so he recently sold the land. He hasn’t visited the land for about 2 decades.