Reflection 2: MUN Delegate Training

Learning Outcome 07 – Recognize and Consider the ethics of choices and actions

IASIS MUN was from the 7th to the 9th of November 2019, it was hosted by the Internation School of Kuala Lumpur in Kuala Lumpur. I was the delegate of Chile in the DISEC committee – Disarmament and International Security or else the first committee of the General Assembly. We discussed the topics of militarizing space, preventing spillover violence in civil conflicts, foreign military intervention in internal conflicts as well as combating terrorism of non-state actors. I was the main submitter of a resolution regarding the topic preventing spillover violence in civil conflicts.

This MUN was a personal success for me, I was able to engage myself in all debates and had a very detailed understanding of my countries position in all of the topics. Although the topics were very broad the whole committee was able to adapt fast to the topic and hand and many speeches and POIs were made. I made a lot of speeches and POIs to strengthen my public speaking skills learned in the MUN delegate training. The training enabled me to make speeches with a deeper meaning and to ask valuable POIs on the stand.

All of the topics were very important on a global scale, most of them were very current. I decided to focus on the spillover of violence in civil war due to the recent events happening in Chile. Only a few weeks before the conference began, civil movements in CHile broke out with several major demonstrations happening throughout the whole country. The demonstrations with the goals of reversing the public transport fairs, reforms in education, healthcare and pension systems, better wages and an increased minimum wage leading up the demand of the draft of a new constitution quickly escalated to violent outbursts of the people and the government. Police were acting very aggressively against peaceful and rebellious demonstrators, the government called out a state of emergency after only a few weeks after the unrests started. These events had a major influence on me doing my research and deciding on the topic I want to work on. I was able to convert the knowledge I gained about chile and its situation into a resolution with many clauses dealing with solutions for those issues. Those solutions included border control, emphasising the importance of the Arms Trade Treaty as well as solutions for humanitarian assistance for refugees and support for internally displaced people. The resolution passed in the committee and together with many amendments from the other delegates we were able to find ideas for solutions to this important international level, and even though we cannot put these solutions into real life, we gained valuable knowledge and started to bring those global issues more into focus.

Although these issues seem to ve very far away from my everyday life I think it is important to educate myself on them, MUN offers a perfect base for that. Knowing what is going on in the world, which conflicts are currently striking the world allows me to reflect on my own decisions and actions I do every day. Here the connection with my other activity IFP connects to MUN, through learning more about different kind of conflicts and resolutions, I am able to work on conflicts in my environment. I am able to learn how to talk to people with a different cultural and racial background and try to resolve issues right before they become an intense conflict. With my actions, I am able to consult others as well as prevent conflicts through thoroughly thinking about my decisions and what step to take next.