one of the best experiences that I have ever had since I joined UWCSEA was Kahani. From the beginning till the end, I have always enjoyed the practises and I can’t describe how exciting the final show was. It was so tiring but more than that the show was awesome. The crowded hall, colourful background lightings and cheerful audience took away all of my nervousness and worries when I stepped on the stage. I have never had this kind of feelings or experiences before so I am really happy and thankful to all the dance leaders and my group for working together collaboratively and showing the team work spirit. Though I had to sacrifice my weekends for dance practise, it was worth it. During the rehearsals, I made mistakes and sometimes even forgot the steps which made me feel little worried and anxious because I didn’t want to spoil the show for other people but my friends helped me out and we practised together a lot of times which helped me to gain more confidence and remember the steps. This was again one of the best parts of the Kahani dance where I got to exchange our skills together and build friendship. In the beginning, one of my goals was to improve on my synchronising skills and by the end of our Kahani, I have realised that I have improved a lot and I feel that this is all because of our team work and it was a life lesson for me. I think that I would really like to improve more on my dancing capabilities so I look forward to continue and participate in more dance shows and learn new skills every day. With that, I also hope to lead dance next year during culturama so that I can share my learning experience with other people and again exchange skills with them.
link to video here —> https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1lDoc5gKH-HBXYXdJdJa6KOa119klcke8
what to do while preparing for the real IO.
- Bringing in new perspective and explanation- strong points
- Provide evidence when you are explaining
- Prioritise your points – which point to speak first
- Clear connection to the global issue- both lit and non-lit
- Explanation and understand the text clearly before thesis statement
- Balance between the texts (4 mins each)
- Going depth in one or two specific global issue not the whole GI- like eg: identity, communication and culture; you don’t have to talk about all of them but just focus on one and other one as supporting the main one.
- Work and brainstorm with the people who are doing the same body of work as you
- Choose only 40 lines of literature text
- Never repeat the points
- Make the connections clear for yourself
- Chose the text that are related to each other (both literature and non-literature); that has both the same global issues and concept
- The global issue should make sense to both literature and non-literature.
- Chose the text where you think that you can finish the elaboration in 10 minutes. Do not choose broad topics or texts
Literature text “Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi”
Non – literature “social media campaign #speakbeautiful by Dove”
Feedback on Real IO Practise #
- Refer the chosen text to the whole book. (literature)
- Talk more about the author and her background
- Marjane’s family and herself is a social activist who knows that women shouldn’t be treated badly by men and should be given equality. However, in the third row of the chosen text, the male character seems like he is dragging her forcefully to somewhere to do something and she is not doing anything. She just thinks about what he might tell her instead of what thinking about what he is actually doing it to her.
Question: how can someone stay true to their identities?
Answer and feedback: in order to stay true to our own identities, we need the positive support from the society and people around us who can encourage the person to have a positive mind set and always being optimistic about our own body image. Like how the Dove campaign #speakbeautiful shows support to women by helping them to realise their personal potential beauty by creating products that deliver real care and encourage them to be confident in the society. However, in Persepolis, Marjane doesn’t get much support from her surroundings and there is no one who could actually give her positive advice. This is mainly because she moved to Austria which is a new surrounding and people around her didn’t know her really well nor does she but its the society that doesn’t take the action first. It doesn’t mean that everyone should each other in the society to help each other. Therefore for Marjane it is the lack of support from the people around her.
Points to Remember
- What is not shown in the advert/photo?–> looking to answer this
- Look at the dates given in the advert or magazine to identify what happened that time
- Is gender role and racism shown or not?
- Do not repeat
- use relevant examples
- use of terminologies and organisation of the both the texts
- use of compositions
- Intertextuality of literature and Non-literature text in the Intro and Conclusion
- Linking to the Global Issue often
- Refer your Literature and Non-literature text to other similar text related to it. (eg: linking social media campaign#speakbeautiful to # RealBeauty campaign both by Dove)
- Be precise about the target audience
- Always connecting your Lexical and Visual Elements
- research beyond what is shown on the image of literature or non-literature text.
- talk about the context of the author and text more in detail.