- My name is Cara Jackson. I have been doing maths at UWC east since grade 5 and did my maths IGCSE’s.
- Most of the time, I do associate more negative feelings and emotions towards maths, mostly anxiety and frustration. However, if I do start to get a certain skill in maths and can complete questions on it quite quickly, then my feelings towards that area in maths will slowly become more positive.
- On the continuum (in the original document, link above), I probably stand towards the right-hand side, with maths, I do understand and work better with others, and having things explained to me.
- When I am ‘stuck’ in maths, I don’t immediately ask for help, I look over the questions, try to find where I went wrong, ask the people around me or the teacher.
- My strength in maths is A Self-Manager because, most of the time, I bring in all the materials I need for class. I think the area of which I would like to work on is being more optimistic when it comes to maths.
- I can get quite anxious at times and can go quiet. I can seem like I have spaced out when I haven’t, and there are times when I don’t say much in class because of my anxiety.
I was having difficulty with the questions, the equations, and the graphs on the calculator, but I did as much as I could
Latest posts by firstname.lastname@example.org (see all)Latest posts by email@example.com (see all)
- Full Paper 1 Reflection – ELP - February 23, 2021
- ELP – Compilation of Goals for Paper 1 - February 17, 2021
- ELP – Paper 1 Practice Reflection - January 26, 2021
One thought on “IB – Maths and Me Post”
Thanks for this honest reflection Cara. I note your preferred methods of having lots of collaboration and not too much time struggling alone. I agree, best to work collaboratively together to help everyone understand new concepts. I’ll make sure to be aware if I see you struggling. Key thing is to keep chatting to each other. I see you have actually picked up a great payttern in the shapes homework. For shape 3 you have written ( 3 x 4) + ( 3 x 4 ) + 3
Now if we extend this to shape 10,,,would we not get…. ( 10 x 11 ) + ( 10 x 11 ) + 3
And so,,,for shape n we might get…. n x ( n+1) + n x (n + 1 ) + 3
If we expand….n^2 + n + n ^2 + n + 3
Which simplifies to 2n^2 + 2n + 3.
This is the result you would get on your GDC as well. I’ll make a video over the next few days and share with you all. Happy second week !