Urban Gardening (initial reflection)

Being a student in UWC, caring about the environment is something that I feel is important to me. One reason why I chose to lead Urban Gardening is that I felt that it was the most hands-on and direct way to make an impact, and because we can see the results of our work, both short term and long term.

I feel that this service directly relates to SDGs number 12, 13, 15. Knowing that we can make an impact, not just in UWC but that we are directly contributing towards the SDGs shows the global significance of the service and the work we are doing.

Because we are directly handling live plants, it is important to keep in mind the ethical implications that come with handling life. We have to be responsible for how we handle them and treat them, such as taking good care of them. It is important to understand that because we are handling life, we have bigger ethical implications than most services.

Though leading a group is not a new experience for me, I understand that it will be challenging at times as I do not have much experience gardening. I hope to develop a greater understanding of gardening from this service, as well as work well with my partner to lead this service as well as we can.

Being leaders, it is important that we plan and collaborate with the teacher to lead this service well. Another important thing we have to consider is that gardening can sometimes be unpredictable as wear handling life. This means that we also have to prepare to make mistakes and accept failures at times, but also to learn from them and make better decisions for the next time.

I hope to work well with my partner, teachers and students to make Urban gardening a success.

LO6-Demonstrate engagement with issues of global significance.

LO7-Recognise and consider the ethics implications of choices and actions.

LO2-Demonstrate that challenges have been undertaken, developing new skills in the process.

LO3-Demonstrate how to initiate and plan a CAS experience.

Written on September 26 2021