Macbeth Act 2

Shakespeare successfully evokes contradictory feelings towards his characters. For Macbeth, he shows us through Macbeth’s regret of killing Duncan when he claims that he is, “afraid to think of what [he] has done; Look on’t again, I dare not” this shows that he still has some good in his heart which makes the audience respect him. However, the fact that actually killed Duncan shows that he is a weak-minded character as he was only persuaded to do so by Lady Macbeth (In Act 1) . Macbeth’s weak-mindedness causes the audience to feel frustrated at how easily swayed he can be, and shows how easy it would be for Macbeth to fall into the dark side. Another character who causes audience to have contradictory feelings is Lady Macbeth. While it is admirable that she is so strong and very decisive, evidence of this can be seen when she poisons the guards herself soMacbeth can kill Duncan, which can be seen in Act 2 Scene 2 when she claims, “That which hath made them drunk, hath made me bold” However, feelings of praise from the audience are inconsistent because there is also a sense of fear and injustice after Shakespeare showcasing how evil Lady Macbeth is and how lacking in humanity she can be. Evidence of such characteristics can be seen in Act 2 Scene 2 when she tells Macbeth that, “My hands are of your colour, but I shame to wear a heart so white”

The significance of of dialogue and ensemble scenes impact the mood of the audience greatly. In Act 2 Scene 3, when the Porter speaks to the audience it causes the audience to feel uneasy. This is done with the language he uses, language that is related to hell and sin. Evidence of such language can be seen through, “Who’s there i’th’name of Beezlebub?” and “Never at quiet: what are you? But this place is too cold of hell.”.