Creativity – Making Something – Season 1 Reflection

I participated in the SEAMC Senior Qualifier Round 2019 as part of my Creativity – Making Something requirement in CAS. Through this experience, I have learnt some things and thus fulfilled some Learning Objectives.

LO4 – Showing perseverance, resilience was demonstrated when myself and some other students worked throughout our free time to try and solve the variation of the game of Nim presented to us as part of the competition. I visualised my success to maintain my motivation for this activity – visualising my success helped me continue working despite being tired. I helped others stay committed by continuing to ask or prompt questions about the strategy and forcing people to continue reevaluating aspects they thought to have been solved. The impact of our commitment was an improved score in this round at the end not just for myself but for the entire team.

LO5 – Working together to achieve an outcome was demonstrated when I worked with some unfamiliar people from another school as part of the Lightning round. Challenges we faced were that we did not all have equal mathematical backgrounds, making it difficult to communicate some concepts across to each other. To overcome this challenge would have required too much explanation and slowed us down significantly in a round that required speed, so we did not overcome this challenge due to time constraints. Our collaboration did help us do well in this round as some problems only one of us knew how to solve, but together this meant that we were able to get through all of the problems we did.