LINKS BETWEEN THE HANDMAIDS TALE AND HUMAN ACTS

I think that after reading both the Handmaid’s Tale and Human Acts, clear links can be found in the way that both novels attempt to portray an event which either has or could happen, but in a fictional manner in order to bring more of an emotional connection to the reader. Both novels are also set in very controlling societies where the culture has severely changed from how it previously was. Both of these changes also appear to have happened quite abruptly. I think it’s important to recognise that it is very difficult to write a novel or create any piece of work which has completely no bias, and in both The Handmaid’s Tale and Human Acts a clear bias towards the side of the narrator(s) can be seen. In the Handmaid’s Tale, despite not always explicitly mentioning how messed up the new life in Gilead is, Atwood clearly is writing from the perspective that what happened is wrong and the new society is unethical. The same in Human Acts where there is a clear focus on the corpses and the injustice which has taken place which contrasts to the more compassionate ‘human acts’ of cleaning the bodies for example. I think that there will also never just be one perspective that comes into either creating or reading texts, and for that reason it is necessary to consider a range of perspectives when doing so.