Can technology put us more in touch with our understanding of our human selves?

Forced Choice: No

I think an issue that I would like to discuss more would be what Replika (or other apps like this) does to our relationships in real life. How it affects us and how it changes the way we interact with others.

A quote that really stood out to me (from another student’s post): “This app could destroy friendships instead of making you better at making friends. If you feel like you can only talk to someone that isn’t even there, it will make you even more awkward, it is like having an imaginary friend.”

Replika was created to recreate an online version of Roman, and the person who made it, said that Replika made her stronger, but wouldn’t pushing through that grief and moving on actually help her instead of being hung up on Roman? Is it really beneficial to fool yourself that they are still alive?

2 comments

1. Your most persuasive idea here is the bit where you talk about having an imaginary friend I say that because it is true your friends can think that they are not good enough for you or you do not like them anymore as you really don’t like them anymore that you have to make up an imaginary friend.
    Our opinions differ the most when you mentioned that it made her stronger, personally I believe that it was holding her back not letting her move on. Yes it is hard to lose a best friend but she was just holding herself back by talking to the app and letting her brain think it is Roman.

2. Your most persuasive idea here is when you said “How the app affects us and how it changes the way we interact with others”. I agree with what you have said because the way we text our friends or someone online is different to a face to face discussion.
    Our opinions differ the most when you say “If you feel like you can only talk to someone that isn’t even there, it will make you even more awkward, it is like having an imaginary friend.” My thinking was based on, if people need someone that they can trust, they could use that app. For example ; you lost your best friend, I guess it would make sense in my opinion to use that app to help you mentally.