Dance Showcase – Revelations

#LO2 #LO4 #LO5 #LO6

This piece was really really difficult. It was a contemporary, African, Carribean piece, based on the choreography by Alvin Ailey. We were taught as a solo, but as a class, we created a group piece by adding formations, and a narrative about Ailey, and the struggle of the black community in America. I think physical perseverance was a big big part of revelations – the dance was incredibly challenging, and because of my unfamiliarity to African and Carribean styles, a lot of muscles I wouldn’t normally use had to be strengthened (especially in the back and inner thighs). Another challenge was choreographing as a group of 7. A balance had to be found between the presentation and confidence in pushing your own ideas while considering and respecting the proposals made by others. Rehearsals were also largely student lead, so we had to keep the focus strong to make sure we not only came up with an impressive final dance but also paid respectable tribute to the choreographer, Alvin Ailey. It is also important to maintain a sense of meaning throughout the dance, remembering to communicate such significant issues such a racism, and black rights.