Grade 9 Expedition to Ladakh // NYAA

What Skills Have I Developed? How?

There are many skills I have uncovered during this trip, some being physical and some mental. Some of the skills were expedition based, such as tenting, mapping, and packing. Other skills were character-based, such as empathy, collaboration, commitment, and perseverance.

Setting up tents and figuring out the campsite dynamics took a few days to get the flow off. One important take away was putting the groups needs ahead of your own personal needs. This means taking all of your stuff out of the tent, packing your tent and THEN brushing your teeth. A lot of group work was necessary to perform at a higher level. During expeditions, you have a certain expectation to hold yourself up to, whether it is learning new things, taking care of yourself or being a productive member of your group, making promises to yourself is good for character development. I think that my expedition skills strongly correlated to the appreciation of the outdoors because I realized how we do not have to be dependant on our modern-day items to survive.

Another important skill we developed on this trip was management. From time management to personal hygiene, to food/water management, this trip required it all. During some of the mornings, we would have 1-2 hours to wake up, pack our tent, pack of stuff, eat breakfast, test for AMS and get ready to go. Doing all of this in freezing temperatures was hard, but as the days went by we learned how to organize ourselves to speed things up.

What is Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS)? What is Diamox? How does it work?

AMS occurs when human bodies reach higher altitudes (above 6000ft) when it is not used to it. Heart rate and respiratory rate increase to pump more O2 throughout your body. The number of red blood cells also increase by around 30%-50%. This decreases the distance for O2 to travel, hance making oxygen absorption easier at higher altitudes. At higher altitudes, the body perspires double, due to low air pressure, sweat evaporates fast and can cause dehydration. The body will also tend to redistribute the blood, lessening the amount in digestive organs and increases the amount to brain, heart, and lungs.

AMS affects 25%-85% of travelers. More women than men face AMS, as you get older there is a higher probability of getting AMS aswell. Rate of ascent, home elevation, physical health, and experience also affects AMS rates.

Diamox, or acetazolamide, is known as a water pill. It is a diuretic, it prevents and/or reduces altitude sickness. Diamox also forces kidneys to excrete bicarbonate (urine) and decreases the amount of fluid in your brain.

Going on this trek brought my happiness up to 100%. Like bitlife.

This trek was truly life-changing, like Shrek. No, I’m just joking about the Shrek thing. It was life-changing because I learned so many life lessons and made so many friends through this trip. I hope that this is not my last expedition, trekking and camping are some of the best ways to connect to nature and yourself. No matter how cheesy that sounds.