January 25 is right around the corner and Kolkata GC is busy preparing for our biggest fundraiser, the ‘Kahaani’ dance showcase, where we celebrate Indian culture through traditional dances, whilst also raising funds for ‘Voice of Worlds’, the NGO in Kolkata, India that we work with. Touted as one of the biggest student led events in school, there is definitely pressure to perform, and being a part of the preparatory process for the first time, I can truly understand this.

Kahaani means story. Every year we weave out a storyline to take our audience through, stopping at different dances as part of the narration of this tale. We hope to send a message everyone to the viewers and this year, it is to do with the fact that differently abled people, aren’t perhaps that different from us. As a result, we should take an effort to include them in society instead of alienating them with overly precautions or inconsiderate behaviour. This year we will take our character through the entire journey of life, and only reveal to the audience at the end, that the character is specially abled. Should this change the way they look upon the character? Perhaps only with more respect for their immense courage. Customes have been ordered, dance practises are held every day of the week and there is definitely excitement in the air.

I am the finance officer, and my responsibilities include managing ticket prices and sales. The fame that Kahaani as gained as a cultural experience, has drawn more students towards it and this year we have expanded it to include 2 shows, with the hope to doubling revenue. I must also liaison with the Service officer to ensure a smooth transfer of funds to our NGO following the competition of this fundraiser. The finance officers are also in charge of the logistics of the lunch time ‘blind tasting event’ that we will be conducting on the same day. This is a first time event, and is directed towards creating awareness about the visually impaired children we work alongside. It was originally supposed to be involve other GCs selling Indian food at our event as well, however due to the time and lack of resources we eventually had to downscale it. Yet with foot-tapping Bollywood numbersĀ  playing in the background, our lunch time stall is bound to draw attention.

They say ‘charity begins at home’. Kolkata is my home. I have been born there and have spent the majority of my life there. Kolkata GC only brings me closer to home, not only because I have found friends from different grades there, but also because the cause we work for, is one I greatly support. Here’s to hoping for a very successful Kahaani this year.

Here is the link to our proposal form for the lunchtime activity planned for 25th January 2018, as part of Kahaani celebrations and pending duties that need to be met before this event.