Migrant Worker Activities Reflection #3

I think this service focuses predominantly on Learning Outcomes 2 and 4, which are Challenge and Commitment respectively.

The fact that this service has been a challenge has been an ongoing theme since the very start of it, back in Season 1. While Season 3 also starting with the similar challenges of lack of time and lack of project ideas, to name a few, the members of this group have worked very hard to transition away from this, towards a more productive service. After lots of deliberation, discussions, and meetings, the group has decided to kickstart an annual photo exhibition done by the migrant workers and for the migrant workers. The project is to be done in conjunction with HOME (Humanitarian Organization for Migration Economics), where the service members provide photo-taking skills knowledge and a platform for migrant workers to showcase to the expat community their daily lives. This is all done in hopes of better integrating their marginalised community within the Singaporean landscape, which is of utmost importance. However, in regards to the challenge I face, I continue to find it difficult to contribute to discussions and take leadership within the service. Even though the group is very small, I find a lot of pressure for each contribution to be absolutely perfect since we have come across so many different genres of challenges on the way. However, I feel like to address this issue, it would be better if I contribute towards the setting up of this exhibition through organising the materials required or getting in touch with the people who can help our petite service group achieve their large-sized aims. Additionally, I feel that once the details of the photo exhibition have been finalised, everyone’s required contribution will shoot right up because, as I said before, the number of people are just so small as opposed to the workload. I think I would feel more satisfied with my contribution at that stage as I would actually be doing productive work towards the cause of the migrant workers.

Moving on, I think that this service has required a lot of perseverance out of each of the student members. Towards the beginning of the service, I remember that we used to get berated quite a lot by one of our service teachers, to no fault of their own because it really was frustrating that (at that point) since the start of the year, we had got no real progress underway. However, I really felt that this approach was counterproductive because I, personally, felt (at that point) that there was no real worth of me staying in the service but continuing to get shouted at the same time. I really observed that the members did not have a high morale or drive to maintain the service. I think this turned around completely after the teacher stopped doing this and instead gave us very constructive advice that really motivated the students to keep on finding the solutions that had been plaguing our service all year long. I really am very grateful that this happened because it created a constructive space that encouraged learning through mistakes, which I believe eventually lead the team to brainstorm and plan to carry out this photo exhibition. I also think that having moved on from this place, the members and teachers now have trust within one another to carry out the tasks that we required of them.

Thank you!