DPERS Reflection Questions

Prompt 1 – Which lessons from ‘gaming culture’ could be used in a Global Perspectives unit?

I think there are many lessons in the gaming culture that can be used as a global perspectives unit. Some examples of this is the the stereotypes of female and woman. It seems that the physicality of the gender is not as same or realistic as in real life. Stereotypes don’t bother men, so I don’t see why women stereotypes bother women.  Games are just games. They are a form of art; people can do what they want regarding what they create.  It’s almost like restricting what kind of a painting a painter can create. I think this a very important lesson for Gpers because this can help us understand the world and our gender identity better.

So to summarise, I think the learning of Gender stereotypes is important for Gpers.

2 thoughts on “DPERS Reflection Questions

• June 13, 2018 at 3:09 am
    Permalink

I whole heartedly agree, games are games. If you were to bring up this about gender then you also need to discuss killing in games, and everything else but its not brought up the same as gender stereotypes. When I play God of War I don’t think to myself “Oh wow I want to look like him”, but instead I think about how well made the game graphics are and the character model looks because I know that its just that, a character model and then also Kratos is meant to be the god of war, he needs to be buff. Agent 47 is a trained hitman, do you think that he should show emotions when he kills? So I agree with what you are saying and maybe if we bring it up in Gpers it could be addressed so.

Reply
  • June 13, 2018 at 4:12 am
    Permalink

Hi Matthew,

I’m very curious about your thinking when you said “Stereotypes don’t bother men, so I don’t see why women stereotypes bother women.” I am wondering if this is just your own experience or if it is based on multiple conversations with others?
    That idea alone would make for a very provocative G’pers debate and would be engaging to research.
    Thanks,
    Ms. Friedman

Reply