Rescue Story

During the writer’s fortnight, I attended 4 different stories from guest speakers. This one was about a rescue story in Myanmar. His friend was a Language student and was travelling the world trying to get people who spoke dead or dying languages to say a phrase in their language. That brought them to Myanmar. They went to this place were previously tourists were not allowed and they were the first tourists there in years. They went to talk to a pair of 80-year-olds that were the only people in the whole world that spoke this language. The only problem was that they were opium addicts. This surprised me that they would try and convince addicts to say a crude phrase. Whilst they were there, there was terrible rainfall but it soon got worse. Soon after it had been declared a national disaster area and that people needed to flee where they were. His wife was not with him and of course, was worried. They had to empty their wallets to leave the place and just came back with their life. This pushed me to wonder what would’ve happened with the footage of the two elders now dead language if it hadn’t been destroyed in the natural disaster.