Running Hour Reflection (LO 7 Ethics)

It wasn’t really a big, life-changing decision.

I was running with a partner and his mother, who ran as a guide. At one point, she mentioned that her son didn’t like people that much; he preferred not to be around or make friends with them; he was very solitary.

A goal of Running Hour, besides providing exercise for the differently abled, is to form connection and friendly relationships with runners. So, the partner’s preference to not make friends is a bit contrary to Running Hour’s goals.

I, myself, thought that such a isolating lifestyle isn’t healthy, socially or psychologically; there is a proverb “no man is an island” for a reason after all. However, when I thought that, I questioned my judgement.

I only met him that day. How could I know what’s good for him and what’s not? Perhaps his needs are different from mine, and being alone was easier for him. Was I right to try to impose my lifestyle onto him?

The mother, on the other hand, said that she used to work out more before but now most of her time is taken up by taking care of her son. Over the course of the day’s session, it seemed clear that she was more social than her son but couldn’t find her time; Running Hour was one of the only activities in which she could interact with people and exercise.

I realized that Running Hour, while directed for the differently abled and the elderly, was also for the parents and caretakers. Running Hour provided them time to relax and focus on things that were not those in their care, because their entire lives could not revolve around one person.

My decision was to provide encouragement and support to exercise to everyone, but offer social connections to the people who wanted them.