Initial Service Post – 4PM

This year I have started a new service in which we work with a service partner called 4PM. In this service we will be helping children with a lower socioeconomic background, to give them more confidence and expose them to new experiences by doing activities involving the arts. This is a very important issue as income inequality is what often leads to people being less fortunate. As a result, educating people about how serious the issue is, and providing less fortunate people with opportunities and experiences is critical.

While I haven’t done this exact activity before, I have had some experience in some of the aspects of what we will be doing. In the past, I have worked with young children in service, so I know what it is like to have this group of people as the target audience for the activities we plan. Furthermore, I have been involved in the arts such as music, and really enjoy doing them, which is what initially made me want to participate in this service.

Before actually working with the children, we have been analysing our own strengths and weaknesses to see how we can best benefit the children from 4PM. As a result of this stage and being in this service, I have found that my ability to plan and think about what activities would be most beneficial is quite strong. This is because I understand the type of activities we are meant to be organising and the group of people it is for. However, I think I would like to improve on my communication skills when we actually are doing the activities and working with the children. This is because communicating with them is quite challenging as they are very young and not yet fluent at speaking. As well as this, when I don’t know the people I am talking with very well, I find it harder to communicate with them as we don’t really know each other. As a result of this I think that this service will be a great experience for me and will really help me to improve my communication skills as this is the area I find that I need to work on the most.

#LO1 #LO6

#CAS