Christina Lau Reflection

Christina Lau was the most inspiring speaker for me out of all. She told her story quite simply but the message was conveyed very well.
North: This session helped me to understand Christina Lau much better as a person and what skills and values were important to her. I had found out that she is a person who always likes to move on and doesn’t like to give up even though she felt like it in some situations. However, the main new thing that I had learned about her was that she is a person who likes to make the best of the situation that she is in. After her car accident when she got paralyzed and thought that she wouldn’t be able to do anything anymore, she adapted to the situation she was in and found different activities that she had the capability to do. She learned things such as mouth painting and table tennis that she never knew before in order to be able to successfully live her life.
South: Something from the talk which connects to what we are doing in class is how she gets her inspiration for her artwork and also how she portrays it. Whenever we have to think of ideas for a story or describe certain aspects of objects, we can always write about it based on our perspective. Lau had mentioned that she gets her inspiration from nature which is something that is common around her. Inspiration and ideas can come from anywhere or anything and how we write about it is based on what we want to show.
East: This session was really inspiring as it had shown me how people can be very talented even when they have been through terrible conditions. Not only had Christina Lau survived the car crash, but she had also managed to learn new skills and become a skilled artist. Her talk showed that people should keep moving forward and persevering no matter what had happened to them or the circumstances they were put in. Also, the way that she is using her time to paint with her mouth shows that people can do things that they had never expected to do.
West: Something that I am unsure about was her true motivation to paint. After she was paralyzed due to the car accident there were a few options that she could have taken, but why she specifically chose mouth painting is a bit unclear. Although the quality of the product from a mouth artist or a hand artist can be very similar, it takes a lot longer to do mouth painting and the reason why she chose to do that would be interesting to know.