1/6 Design Thinking // DT

In this post, I write about how I approached the design thinking process.

Here are some of the skills that developed the most for me during the whole design thinking approach:

• Analytical Thinking + Innovation
  • Critical Thinking + Analysis
  • Complex Problem Solving
  • Technology Design + Programming
  • Reasoning, Problem-Solving + Ideation
  • Systems Analysis + Evaluation 

What was the Problem?

In our rapidly moving, complex lives, I found that concentration and stress were issues that my peers and I face. Looking over photos of my friends’ workspaces, I saw a need for a way to neatly organize and efficiently utilize space. I have put a collection of photos underneath which caused some concerns for me. When there is a lot of visual noise, it tends to be difficult for anyone, specifically students, from focusing on their work.

The problem is that it is difficult to find a high quality, ergonomic, efficient, yet simple desk tidy made for technology users. During work periods, important items or utensils can be misplaced due to the mess on your table. With lots of people organizing their workspaces inefficiently, this is a common problem for a wide range of people.

Who encountered the problem?

This problem, although I found it to be specifically for students, maybe an issue for anyone who works on a flat surface. In the world, everyone’s lives are filled with technological advances and an integrated work-life, it is difficult to organize space in a manner which makes teams easily accessible, while not being out in the open.

What was the design goal?I wanted to design and manufacture a product that would organize and increase productivity in the workspace. This product would support the use of technology, stationery, food, and drinks. It would have to be easily accessible and safe to use for the users. The product should’ve have been durable for regular use. The design would have to be simple and have clean aesthetics because the main purpose of the design is to increase workflow. The main goal of this design is to increase productivity and make working easier for the user.What is the Succes Criteria?

• Function
    • Must have a raised platform, so that the device being used would be at almost eye level
    • Must not scratch the surface it would be on, preventing damage to desks
    • Must provide sufficient storage and/or compartments for organization of items
    • Must be able to bear the weight of technology and such items that may be placed on it
  • Aesthetics
    • Must have lighter tones of wood
    • Must have a natural finish, along with modern and sleek design, and if any type of plastic is used, must be clear
    • Must be mainly wooden
  • Target Market
    • Must be inclusive of a large group of client, to be able to reach many with the final design
    • Must be attractive to clients who feel unproductive
    • Must have sections which are adjustable
  • Materials
    • Must be scratch resistant
    • Must be stable/ strong, so it will not break with use over time
    • Must be a thermal insulator
  • Environment
    • Must be easy to dispose of once product life is over, making it eco friendly
  • Ergonomics
    • Must be suitable for a range of users anthropometrics, so that it is suitable for a range of possible clients
  • Safety
    • Must have curved edges and smooth surfaces, to make it safe for use
    • Must also have a stable surface, so it is useful

2 Replies to “1/6 Design Thinking // DT”

1. mir15505@gapps.uwcsea.edu.sg says: Reply

Here you have analyzed the function and the criteria that your product needs to have, and you have done it in such detail that you were very well prepared when making your product the ideas that you came up with were very creative and undoubtedly provided a unique solution to the problem. Where else could you use innovation and creativity in the real world? What has this project prepared you for in the future.

1. mawan16165@gapps.uwcsea.edu.sg says: Reply

This project has absolutely prepared me for future projects and ideas. Innovation and creativity are life skills that can be used in every situation. it also helps keep you happy and imaginative.