I currently lead the HS competition Maths club in UWCSEA. I joined the middle school segment of this club in grade 8, when I joined school, and have been a member, ever since. 4 years down the line, I feel that the sessions are just as fun, and cause as much creative provocation, as before. However, the additional responsibility of now planning and leading each session, have made it a new challenge that I have very motivatedly taken on.

It is quite difficult to plan the sessions – I must make sure that I challenge the other students but never demotivate or demoralise them. Given that this is a whole high school club, which people from different grades attend, it is at times challenging to find the middle ground. The first session I planned was too difficult for many of the students. Furthermore, I had added a bit of competitive tweak to it, to encourage them to keep working at these sums, however, this idea backfired. The fear of losing was greater than their hope of winning.

After reflecting on this issue, after much deliberation, I removed this competitive element from the following week’s activity. this increased interaction between teh students, allowing them to work together to come to conclusions. This enabled them to attempt harder sums, and also enjoy the session more. Hence, this is an element I wish to carry forward in the following sessions as well.

The word ‘mathematics’ itself evokes a feeling of dread amongst other students. Hence clubs like this, are important to cultivate the interest of students. It also enables people to learn more, beyond the classroom. Undoubtedly, the real world implication of mathematics is unparalleled. This is evident from the fact that so many universities greatly value taking maths as an HL subject.The creativity required to think outside the box to solve the problems are also sometimes overlooked. This needs to be changed and i hope, HS competition maths is angled at this direction.

A presentation with questions I prepared from past IITJEE MAIn papers, for a session is attached here.

A document with some tangrams which I used, to introduce students to Archimedes’ Stomachion is attached here.

These two form one of the sessions I planned for math club, to encompass both collective thinking (via the ppt) and individual critical thinking(via the tangrams).

Learning Outcomes highlighted:

1. Increased their awareness of their strengths and areas for growth.
  2. Undertaken new challenges.
  3. Planned and initiated activities.
  4. Worked collaboratively with others.
  5. Shown perseverance and commitment in their activities.
  6. Developed new skills.