Softball Pre-Season

20th November, 2018: WEEK 2:

INITIAL REFLECTION

Skills shown:

LEARNING OUTCOMES!

LO 1 Identify own strengths and develop areas for growth

Doing softball has allowed me to identify my own strengths, such as catching and throwing, but also to be self-aware of where I need to improve. This comes through lots of practice and taking the time to know your own strengths and weaknesses, and I feel also being confident enough to admit to yourself where you need to work on which can be especially hard in a group environment where you feel pressure and judgement from your peers. I knew that I had to work a lot on my batting, and was not confident with it at all – however, I took this as an opportunity to grow and was very open in asking for help from coaches and my team-mates on positioning, techniques and overall how I could improve. This showing LO 5 Demonstrate the skills and recognize the benefits of working collaboratively– as my friends and I worked together a lot to help guide one another and all improve collectively. I think this was also really important learning how to take criticism constructively, for example if I’m doing batting practice and my teammate tells me what I’m doing wrong, instead of feeling bad or angry towards them, I was happy for their input and used it to try and improve. In this way, I feel having people around me trying to learn and play the same sport was really beneficial.

LO 2 Demonstrate that challenges have been undertaken, developing new skills in the process

This, above, also links in here – I feel that I did by the end improve my batting significantly – however still not as much as I would have liked. I feel that some of that comes down to practice but a lot is of confidence, and as many of the girls there are great at batting – I feel it can be really scary when you go up to the plate, because in that situation it’s all eyes on you and that definitely creates a lot of spotlight anxiety for me. So despite developing many new skills, as well as collaboration and communication with my teammates, there are still many more challenges for me to overcome!