What lockdown has taught me about self-care

Like many others, when the lockdown was first announced I was concerned about what this would mean. Life is often fast paced, with little time for self-care as there is always something to do. However, something the lockdown has given me is time. For many people, including myself, this is the first time for a long period that time has been given to focus on yourself. Although there are still many assignments due, and tests allocated to students there is a sense of importance in self care. The lockdown has created a sense of isolation, especially with the concerns about the pandemic, therefore during this difficult time we are only able to rely on the people around us and ourselves.  As a result, I have become closer to my family and have learnt more about myself.

During this challenging period it is easy to feel isolated. Therefore, during the lockdown, I have attempted to develop myself and indulge in self care. During periods where tasks feel overwhelming, I have become better at giving myself time to relax. Especially as people are moving to the internet for school and work, it can become overwhelming to look at a screen all day. Therefore I have become better at disconnecting from my screen, and instead listen to music and be present. The lockdown has proved to be a valuable experience in bettering oneself, to care for yourself by indulging in personal hobbies. I have learnt that it is okay to not always be productive, at times there may be a sense of guilt. However, indulging in personal hobbies which may have been forgotten due to new responsibilities is just as valuable as doing work. Of course a balance between the two must be maintained, to ensure that while you are caring for yourself, work life is still maintained.