REPRESENTING PEOPLE: UNIT REFLECTION

I have enjoyed the representation unit in english because I like that we explore English literature but relate it to real-life issues. I think also because I can actually see the point of what we are learning, I’m able to invest myself more into it rather than half commit to it but not really know why I’m doing any of it. I really enjoyed looking at how the way language is used influences the audience. I think this is very important because it can be taken into so many different areas of your life.

I’ve developed my knowledge on the actual terminology of a lot of the techniques used in advertising especially but in poetry as well. I think that I need to just try to make myself actively use these terms so that it becomes more natural and I remember them more easily. I think the advertising terminology will be most useful in terms of being able to be applied to other areas of our school work/future.

Although the Carol Ann Duffy poems that we looked at as a class focus primarily on gender, when you analyse them in a different way they can reveal different underlying meanings. For my practice IO, I analysed Little Red Cap from the perspective of identity and how society shapes people’s identity. This helped me see that although we might focus on one theme in the work we look at, they can be applied to different situations too. I think this will also make it easier for me to link the work we have done so far into the new Bob Dylan work we will be looking at, and Never Let Me Go.